Yesterday I was fixing a bug in an inherited Drupal 7 custom module, and I decided that I was going to add some tests to ensure that the bug was fixed and doesn’t get accidentially re-introduced in the future. The test though required me to have a particular content type and fields which are specific to this site, so weren’t present within the standard installation profile used to run tests.
I decided to convert the custom module into a Feature so that the content type and it’s fields could be added to it, and therefore present on the testing site once the module is installed.
To do this, I needed to expose the module to the Features API.
All that’s needed is to add this line to the
features[features_api] = api:2
After clearing the cache, the module is now visible in the Features list - and ready to have the appropriate configuration added to it.