Skip to main content
Oliver Paul Davies (opdavies)
- CMSes and Frameworks: Drupal (6-9), Symfony (2-5), Sculpin, Tailwind CSS, Vue.js
- Tools: Git, PHPUnit, PHPStan, Behat, Jest, Docker, Ansible, Puppet, Apache, Nginx, MySQL, Jenkins, GitHub Actions
- Platforms: Acquia, Platform.sh, Pantheon, DigitalOcean, Linode
Inviqa websites (Lead Backend Developer and Technical Team Lead)
- Co-developed the Drupal 8 versions of the Inviqa UK and Germany websites, including a number of custom modules.
- Wrote custom migrations to migrate existing data from the legacy site.
- Solely upgraded the sites from Drupal 8 to Drupal 9.
- Technologies used: Drupal 8/9, Vue.js, Behat, PHPUnit, PHPCS, PHPStan, Platform.sh
- Links: https://www.inviqa.com, https://www.inviqa.de
OutdoorLads website (Lead Developer, Microserve)
- Architected and co-developed a Drupal 8 and Drupal Commerce based events and membership website and management system.
- Introduced automated testing and test-driven development, resulting in over 100 tests being added.
- Contributed to the custom migration of data from the legacy system, including users, event (product), and attendance (order) information.
- Technologies used: Drupal 8, Drupal Commerce 2, PHPUnit, Tailwind CSS.
- Link: https://www.outdoorlads.com
Drupal.org websites and infrastructure (Developer, Drupal Association)
- Improved Drupal.org by adding new features and fixing bugs, improving the user experience for new Drupal.org users and Drupal contributors and maintainers.
- Assisted in the upgrade of localize.drupal.org to Drupal 7 with high-profile community members.
- Tested and contributed to the responsive version of Bluecheese (the Drupal.org theme) which was launched in December 2014.
- Links: https://www.drupal.org, https://events.drupal.org, https://jobs.drupal.org
Intranet for Admiral Insurance (Lead Developer, Precedent)
- Completed a Drupal development project, working closely and often on-site with Admiral's staff Developers.
- Integrated single-sign-on using LDAP, Active Directory, and NTLM.
- Technologies used: Drupal 7, Git, Linux, Apache, MySQL.
Insurance group websites (Lead Developer, Freelance)
- Developed and maintained a collection of business-to-consumer and business-to-business websites, selling insurance policies for electronic gadgets.
- Increased revenue by increasing the number of sites from one to seven, and maintaining costs by re-using the same codebase and hosting and implementing patterns such as feature flags.
- Technologies used: Drupal 7, Drupal Commerce, AngularJS, PHPCS, PHPStan, Jest, GitHub, Acquia.
Lead Software Developer at Transport for Wales - 2021 to present
Freelance Software Developer and Systems Administrator - 2007 to present
- Developed and re-developed applications using Drupal, Symfony and Silex.
- Migrated sites to newer versions of Drupal (6 to 7, and 7 to 8).
- Provisioned and maintained Linux servers for clients.
- Introduced version control systems, automation and deployment processes to existing projects.
Senior Software Engineer at Inviqa (Remote) - 2019 to 2021
- Worked on a development team responsible for a number of Drupal 7 and 8 projects, which I led for over a year in an acting Technical Team Lead role.
- Augmented onto a client development team for five months, co-developing an application using Drupal, Angular, and TypeScript.
- Part of the out-of-hours critical application support team, supporting applications including Drupal, Magento, and Sylius.
- Certified Mental Health First Aider and part of the Wellbeing team.
- Co-organised and presented at the internal Drupal community of practice (CoP) sessions, and presented at the Engineering and Front-End CoPs.
- Link: https://www.inviqa.com
Senior Drupal Developer at Microserve (Bristol, UK) - 2017 to 2019
- Developed and maintained various Drupal 7 and 8 projects including custom modules and automated tests, such as integrating Drupal with third-party services.
- Improved the accessibility of various projects by working on front-end and theming related tasks.
- Wrote custom migrations to import data from various sources into Drupal 8.
- Link: https://microserve.io
Senior Drupal Developer at Appnovation (Cardiff, UK) - 2016 to 2017
- Co-developed various Drupal 7 and 8 projects for UK, US and Canadian clients, including custom modules and themes.
- Link: https://www.appnovation.com
Lead Drupal Developer at CTI Digital (Remote) - 2015 to 2016
- Contributed to and helped support various existing Drupal 7 projects.
- Improved my Drupal 8 knowledge via self-guided learning, focussing on custom module development and data migration.
- Link: https://www.ctidigital.com
Senior Drupal Developer at Microserve (Bristol, UK) - 2015
- Full-stack Drupal 7 development, focussing on custom module development, REST server integration via restws module, and data migration from Drupal 6.
- Updated and modernised a non-Drupal PHP platform to ensure its compatibility with their new Drupal 7 website, adding Composer to manage dependencies and Guzzle to perform HTTP requests to Drupal to trigger actions via REST.
- Link: https://microserve.io
Drupal.org Developer at the Drupal Association (Remote) - 2014 to 2015
- Worked on the Drupal.org website, its sub-sites and infrastructure, developing new tools and features whilst fixing bugs and issues.
- Monitored and maintained the Drupal.org testbot infrastructure during high traffic periods, ensuring that automated tests are able to run for patches submitted to Drupal.org.
- Fixed any issues that made Drupal.org a Drupal 8 release blocker, ensuring that there were no further delays in releasing Drupal 8.
- Link: https://www.drupal.org/association
Senior Drupal Developer at Precedent (Cardiff, UK) - 2013 to 2014
- Led a development team consisting of colleagues in other offices as well as an off-site client contractor.
- Completed an in-progress Drupal 7 project, adding missing functionality and fixing bugs.
Application Developer & System Administrator at Nomensa (Bristol, UK) - 2012 to 2013
- Developed custom Drupal 7 modules including an integration with CiviCRM.
- Completed front-end theme development work with a focus on accessibility, ensuring that it was WCAG 2.0 compliant.
- Worked alongside and mentored front-end Developers in Drupal theming on projects. Several of them would later become full-time Drupal Developers and Themers.
- Provisioned servers with a Nginx, PHP-FPM and MySQL stack, and deployed applications.
- Link: https://www.nomensa.com
PHP Developer at Proctor & Stevenson (Bristol, UK) - 2011 to 2012
- Developed and co-developed new websites, including the agency’s first Drupal 7 client project.
- Provided ongoing support and maintenance of websites for existing clients.
- Architected and developed a Drupal 6 and Ubertcart project for a water services company, which processed residential and commercial property transactions until September 2020.
- Link: https://www.proctors.co.uk
Web Developer (PHP, Drupal) at Horse & Country TV (Cwmbran, UK) - 2010 to 2011
- Maintained and supported the company’s Drupal 6 website as part of a two-person team.
- Re-architected and re-developed the Events section, adding Ubercart for paid events which added a new revenue stream for the company.
- Link: https://horseandcountry.tv
Certifications and Qualifications
- 2021: Platform.sh partner certification (for Inviqa)
- 2019: Adult Mental Health First Aider - Training in Mind / St. John's Ambulance
- 2018: Acquia certified Cloud Pro
- 2017: Acquia certified Front End Specialist - Drupal 8
- 2017: Acquia certified Back End Specialist - Drupal 8
- 2017: Acquia certified Developer - Drupal 8
- 2007-2009: HNC Computing (End User Support)
- Organiser of the PHP South Wales user group.
- Past organiser of the PHP South West, and Drupal Bristol user groups.
- Co-founder of the DrupalCamp Bristol conference.
- Open source contributor and maintainer.
- Drupal core contributor, and contribution mentor.
- Coding Fellowship Bootcamp mentor.